Alcohol and Tobacco Taxes Electronic Mandate
Aug. 7, 2014 – TaxTalk Blog
Did you know more than 1,540 businesses report Indiana alcohol and tobacco taxes?
How these taxes are reported and paid has seen a recent change. The 2014 general assembly passed a new electronic mandate which will help simplify reporting and paying these taxes. Effective July 1, 2014, all businesses in Indiana must file and pay their alcohol excise taxes, cigarette taxes, and other tobacco product (OTP) taxes electronically. Additionally, all informational returns must be submitted electronically.
Although the law requires taxpayers to begin filing and paying electronically by July, the department understands taxpayers may need more time to accommodate this new process. Therefore, the department will not accept returns electronically until later this year.
- Alcohol and OTP taxpayers will file their October 2014 returns electronically by the November due date.
- Cigarette taxpayers will file electronically beginning with the January 2015 return, but the department will be able to accept electronic returns beginning Nov. 1, 2014, if taxpayers choose to file their October 2014 returns electronically.
This additional time allows affected businesses to prepare to bulk file their returns. The department is developing the bulk upload capability, and a bulk upload guide for taxpayers already is available online.
Additionally, the department is sending letters directly to affected taxpayers with more and detailed information about these new processes. The letters introduce electronic filing, introduce web pages for the special tax e-mandate, announce bulk upload testing availability, and remind taxpayers of the filing deadline.
For more detailed information about these new electronic filing requirements, visit the following web pages:
If additional information is needed, email email@example.com or call 317-615-2710.
If you would like to submit a question or topic suggestions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
- 2017 Annual Report Published
October 16, 2017
Are you interested in learning more about what we do at the Indiana Department of Revenue and what we are planning for the future? Read more...
- Struggling to pay your taxes? Taxpayer Advocate Office (TAO) is here to Help
October 11, 2017
Having troubles paying your taxes? We have the solution, the Taxpayer Advocate Office. Read more...
- Are you following #INDOR on social media?
September 27, 2017
- Tax Tips for Direct Sales Opportunities
September 20, 2017
- What Does the Customer Service Division Do?
September 06, 2017
- Back to School Credits and Deductions
August 23, 2017
- Tax Help for Homeschoolers
August 16, 2017