Free Tax Assistance

March 17, 2014 – TaxTalk Blog

There are less than four weeks left until April 15, the deadline to file individual income taxes. If you haven’t filed yet because you need help or have questions, there are many reputable and free tax assistance organizations that can help you. The IRS and AARP provide two nationwide tax assistance organizations.


The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Programs offer free tax help for taxpayers who qualify. The VITA Program generally offers free tax help to people who make $52,000 or less and need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. The TCE Program offers free tax help for all with priority assistance to people who are 60 years of age and older, specializing in questions about pensions and retirement issues unique to seniors. Click here to find a VITA or TCE location near you.


The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program is available free to taxpayers with low and moderate income, with special attention to those 60 and older. Click here to find location near you.

To have your tax return(s) prepared at an assistance site you need to bring:

  • Proof of identification – Picture ID
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents, if applicable
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns if available
  • Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.


Another filing option is Indiana freefile (INfreefile). INfreefile is the department’s free online filing program for federal and state tax returns. INfreefile is fast, easy, and allows users to file through vendors like TurboTax and H&R Block for no charge. Visit today to see if you qualify.

If you would like to submit a question or topic suggestions, please send them to
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Facebook   Twitter