Electrifying mandate for business tax filers
Jan. 7, 2013 – TaxTalk Blog
This is the first of a three-part series.
Last year the Indiana state legislature passed a few laws that change the way business taxpayers will be required to file and remit sales and withholding taxes. Here are some of the key changes:
- Forms. As of June 30, 2012, anyone who is required to file more than 25 W-2s, 1099-Rs, or WH-18s with Indiana must file them electronically.
- Filings and payments. By no later than Jan. 1, 2013:
- All retail merchants must report and remit sales tax electronically.
- All withholding agents must report and remit withholding taxes electronically.
- Quarterly withholding filings will be eliminated.
How to file electronically…for free. We want you to know that Indiana has a free online tax filing system for sales and withholding tax returns. It is called INtax. We recommend you register with INtax and begin filing electronically.
Did you know?
- We offer a range of sophisticated tutorials to help you learn how to use INtax.
- Service providers can also use INtax. And, we have tutorials specially designed for service agencies.
- We have a special INtax hotline for help with INtax. Call (317) 232-2337.
Please call us at (317) 232-2337 or visit our website at www.intax.in.gov if you have any questions or concerns on how to register. We look forward to helping you get a jump-start on an electrifying experience!
Come back in a couple of days for more information about INtax registration, filing procedures, and possible exceptions to the mandate (there are a few, and most are short-term).
If you would like to submit a question or topic suggestions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.