District offices provide valuable services
July 2, 2012 – TaxTalk Blog
Working with the Department of Revenue doesn’t have to be a scary experience. We know that a tax issue can seem overwhelming, especially if you only deal with your taxes once a year.
Many state tax issues and questions can be dealt with smoothly and conveniently, either by telephone or via our website. For instance, you can check the status of your state tax refund (www.in.gov/dor/4339.htm) or change your mailing address (www.in.gov/dor/3795.htm) online 24 hours a day.
But should there come a time when you need to visit us in person, we may be closer than you think. Besides our Indianapolis location, we have eleven district offices around the state. They are located in Bloomington, Clarksville, Columbus, Evansville, Ft. Wayne, Kokomo, Lafayette, Merrillville, Muncie, South Bend and Terre Haute.
To find out which district office is closest to you, check out the list, which includes locations and phone numbers. Except for holidays, all offices are open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. local time, Monday – Friday.
At the district offices, we will:
- Answer your state individual and/or business tax questions
- Accept your completed state tax return(s) (paper filing only)
- Help you correct or adjust a tax return that has already been filed with us
- Review and explain your tax billing(s)
- Take your payments (exact cash, checks, money orders, cashier’s checks, Visa, MasterCard or Discover)
- Help you set-up a payment plan if you meet all the requirements
- Provide you with state tax forms (based on availability)
- Answer your questions about our collection process (tax warrants with the sheriff and/or collection agency, bank levies, liens on credit reports, etc.)
- Assist you with license protests
We will not:
- Prepare state individual income tax returns or business tax returns
If you need any of the services listed above, and you feel you need to conduct your business in person, consider visiting the district office located nearest to you. We look forward to working with you.
If you would like to submit a question or topic suggestions, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.