Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)
What is the UCR program?
The Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) program is a federal program that all states monitor to ensure safety. The program requires individuals and companies that operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce to register their businesses with Indiana and pay an annual fee based on the sizes of their fleets. This fee can then be used to pay for motor carrier enforcement, roads, etc.
Who needs to register for UCR?
If you operate a commercial motor vehicle such as truck or bus in interstate or international commerce or you make the arrangements for the transportation of cargo and goods, you will need to register with the UCR program.
A Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) is defined as a self-propelled vehicle used on highways in commerce to transport passengers or cargo, if the vehicle:
- Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 10,001 pounds or more;
- Is designed to transport more than 10 passengers (including the driver); or
- Is used to transport hazardous materials in quantities requiring placarding.
What do I do next?
You can register for your UCR today.
Once registered, companies providing both motor carrier services and broker, freight forwarder, or leasing services are required to pay at the motor carrier fee level. Those who transport only private carriers of passengers are not required to register or pay UCR.
Payments may be made using MasterCard, Visa, or e-Check. UCR fees can be found in the below chart.
2018 UCR Fees
|0 – 2||$69|
|3 – 5||$206|
|6 – 20||$410|
|21 – 100||$1,431|
|101 – 1,000||$6,820|
|1,001 and over||$66,597|
2017 UCR Fees
|0 – 2||$76|
|3 – 5||$227|
|6 – 20||$452|
|21 – 100||$1,576|
|101 – 1,000||$7,511|
|1,001 and over||$73,346|
You can also contact us to mail an application by calling (317) 615-7350 or by printing the BAS-2 application online. Once completed, mail your application and check (made payable to the Indiana Department of Revenue) to:
Indiana Department of Revenue
Motor Carrier Services Division
Insurance & Safety Section
P. O. Box 6075
Indianapolis, IN 46206-6075
Things to Remember
- You must pay your fees annually
- If you buy a new truck for your fleet after you have paid your current-year UCR fees, you are not required to pay for the new truck until the following year
- Be sure to regularly visit the UCR website for important updates
- You can learn more about UCR by reading our FAQs.
You can also print a complete UCR checklist.