WH-1 Do’s and Don’ts
ATTENTION -- Effective Jan. 1, 2013, ALL businesses in Indiana must file and pay their sales and withholding taxes electronically. For more information, click here.
Are you completing your WH-1 correctly? Submitting a WH-1 correctly ensures that your company’s withholding taxes are reported accurately and timely to the State of Indiana.
The best way to complete your WH-1 is through INtax, a free online tax filing program that allows you to file and pay your business taxes (including withholding); upload W2s, W2Gs, and 1099Rs; register a new business; and more.
If you do decide to complete the paper WH-1 form, below are some do’s and don’ts to help ensure that you are completing your WH-1 correctly.
- Complete the county tax breakdown portion on the reverse side of the form.
- Be sure that the total amount withheld on the county breakdown on the reverse of the form matches line 2 on the front side of the form.
- Be sure to sign and date the form.
- Make sure you use only the WH-1 form that is directly mailed to you from the Indiana Department of Revenue or your payroll provider. If you have lost your WH-1 form, contact the Department at (317) 233-4016.
- Leave entries blank if no dollar amount is present.
- Use your Indiana Tax Identification (TID) number and not your Federal Identification (FID) number.
- Double check your math.
- Make the check payable to the Indiana Department of Revenue unless you are enrolled in Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).
- Check the box on the front of the form indicating you have completed the reverse side (found on 2010 WH-1).
- Don’t use another retailer’s WH-1.
- Don’t use dashes, “0”, line, or other symbols to indicate that you have no entry for that line.
- Don’t cut the form in half (the reverse side also must be completed).
- Don’t send in multiple returns for the same reporting period unless otherwise requested by the Indiana Department of Revenue.
- Don’t include penalty and interest with your return if filing Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).
- Don’t send cash. Instead, make a check payable to the Indiana Department of Revenue unless you are enrolled in Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT).
Below you will find an example of a WH-1 form completed correctly.
Correct Way to Complete a WH-1
For more information about your WH-1, please contact the Department at (317) 233-4016.