Fuel Tax Electronic Filing (FTEF)
Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) allows taxpayers to transmit electronic tax returns from their PC to the department.
EDI can accept:
- Register – You may begin by downloading the Fuel Tax EDI Application form. The application outlines the general business rules employed by the department for Fuel Tax EDI program. After completing the application, sign and return it to the department using regular mail or FAX for processing. The Fuel Tax EDI Implementation Guide describes the program details and provides the instructions required for program development.
- Receive account information – Applicants receive a unique file ID for file naming and the link to our secure upload page. The department emails this to the applicant. Once registered, the applicant becomes a department trading partner (TP).
- Software selection – The TP must develop or purchase computer software that will create electronic filings in the prescribed EDI format (ANSI ASC X-12 Standards). The TP then will upload the file using the department provided secure website. The web address is provided after receiving the completed EDI application form.
Note – A list of potential EDI software developers who have contacted the Department is provided here.
- Testing – Once the TP creates an electronic file, testing begins. During the testing period, the TP submits returns in both the paper and electronic formats. The electronic filings are then uploaded using the department's secure website.
- The department then checks the electronic EDI return against the submitted paper return image for accuracy.
- Production Status – When the testing is complete, the TP will be granted Production-Status and the paper can be discontinued.
Following the file processing, an emailed acknowledgement is provided, that allows the taxpayer to know the status of their electronic filing.
E-mail Contact: email@example.com