Inn photo
Inn photo
Inn photo

About

History | Amenities | State Park Features | Local Attractions | Driving Directions

History

McCormick’s Creek State Park is Indiana’s oldest state park. It was dedicated on July 4, 1916, as part of the state Centennial Celebration. It has grown to 1,833 acres today from its original 350 acres.

The Miami Indians originally inhabited the area. The first settler to claim an acreage for homesteading was John McCormick. The land included nearly 100 acres along the canyon by the waterfalls. Since it was common to name physical locations by the owner’s name, McCormick’s Creek was now so named.

Historic Post Card Depicting the Original SanitariumIn 1888 Dr. Fredrick Denkewalter purchased part of the area to build a sanitarium for the wealthy to "get away from it all" and recuperate. The original sanitarium, built on the present-day Canyon Inn site, was a white-sided structure with long porches on every side. With the death of Dr. Denkewalter in 1914, the land was purchased by the State of Indiana in order to maintain the park-like setting.

The Canyon Inn opened its doors in the old sanitarium building in 1916. Over the years remodeling projects have changed the physical appearance of the Inn, which still stands on the original foundation, but it has not changed the surroundings and scenic appeal that first attracted Dr. Denkewalter.

Amenities

Return to Top | Return to Previous Page

State Park Features

Return to Top | Return to Previous Page

Local Attractions

Within 10-15 minutes of the Inn:
Within 15-30 minutes of the Inn:
Return to Top | Return to Previous Page

Driving Directions

Bloomington, IN | Chicago, IL | Indianapolis, IN | Louisville, KY | Terre Haute, IN

Canyon Inn
451 McCormick Creek Park Road
P.O. Box 71
Spencer, Indiana 47460
812-829-4881
FAX: 812-829-1467
Reservations:
877-LODGES-1
877-563-4371

» Driving directions

Click to Enlarge
Purchase items at the Mother Nature Mercantile e-store.