- POOL ALERT – OUABACHE: Effective Monday, August 14, 2017, the pool at Ouabache State Park will be closed Monday through Friday through the remainder of the season. It will be open on Saturdays and Sundays in August, and open Saturday through Monday on Labor Day weekend. The pool will close for the season after Monday, September 4, 2017. Hours of operation vary and can change due to limited lifeguard availability and/or inclement weather.
- ADVISORY: Ouabache State Park Campground A will be closed from Nov. 4, 2017, through Jan. 15, 2018, for the Wonderland of Lights special event. Campground B and the South Comfort Station will remain open year-round.
- NO FISHING – KUNKEL LAKE: Due to the ongoing construction of a new beach at Kunkel Lake, fishing will not be allowed until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience, however, we look forward to providing this new amenity to our park visitors in the near future. Check back here, or on Facebook, for an updated message. Thank you.
- Firetower: Currently closed for repairs.
Upcoming Events at Ouabache
Ouabache is difficult to spell, but easy to pronounce. Simply say 'Wabash'...just like the river that forms the southwest boundary for the park. This is the French spelling of an Indian word, so don't be surprised to hear some folks call it o-ba-chee.
Kunkel Lake offers excellent fishing. During the summer months, a naturalist will provide information about the natural wonders of the park. A lodge recreation building is ideal for special gatherings and is now available all year.
During the summer, pool hours may change because of weather and staffing. Please contact the property office for exact times before your visit.
- Nature Center/Interpretive Naturalist Services (seasonal)
- Picnic Tables
- Fishing / Boating
- Hiking Trails
- Paved Bicycle Trail
- Swimming Pool. Check office for hours.
- Tennis Courts
- Basketball Courts
- Volleyball Court
Camping - See campground maps under MAPS tab
- Youth Tent
- Dumping Station
- Description of Hiking Trails
DESCRIPTION OF HIKING TRAILS
Note: For trail locations, view the property map under the MAPS tab.
1. EASY (1 mile)—Circles wildlife exhibit, starting at exhibit parking lot.
2. EASY (1.5 miles)—Begins at north end of campground. Winds north through pine plantation, then south along swimming pool complex and back east to campground.
3. EASY (1.5 miles)—Begins at north end of campground, travels east through magnificent stand of oak and hickory, passes a woodland marsh, and winds back to the point of origin.
4. MODERATE (3 miles)—Begins at wildlife exhibit, branches north through heavy pine plantations, then west through more pines, hawthorn, etc., and back east along the southern edge of Kunkel Lake to the point of origin.
5. MODERATE (6 miles)—The “Ouabache Trail” begins at the wildlife exhibit and circles the entire property, using portions of all trails. Trail 5 may be started and finished at any trail entrance. The trail will take you through virtually all types of trees and terrain available in the area. Several interesting footbridges dot the trail.
PLEASE STAY ON MARKED TRAILS.