Cagles Mill Lake (Lieber SRA) Advisories
- POOL ALERT – LIEBER: Effective Monday, August 7, 2017, the pool at Lieber SRA will be closed Monday through Friday through the remainder of the season. It will be open on Saturdays and Sundays in August, and open Saturday through Monday on Labor Day weekend. The pool will close for the season after Monday, September 4, 2017. Hours of operation vary and can change due to limited lifeguard availability and/or inclement weather.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: The purchase of an America the Beautiful Pass (Federal National Parks and Recreational Lands Pass), Senior or otherwise, does NOT provide admission to State Recreation Areas (SRAs) at Indiana’s U.S. Army Corps of Engineers reservoirs. This includes Lieber SRA when and where entrance fees are charged.
- BEACH OPEN: Debris is being cleared from high water, and the beach will be open on Friday, July 28.
- TRAFFIC DETOUR JULY 5 – AUG 31, 2017: The State Road 243 bridge over Interstate 70 will be closed from July 5 through Aug. 31. Those traveling to Lieber SRA on I-70 East may still use Exit 37 to access S.R. 243 South to the park. Those traveling on I-70 West will need to use Exit 41 (Cloverdale) and take U.S. 231 South to S.R. 42 West to S.R. 243 to the park.
- BLUE-GREEN ALGAE: Found in lakes year round. More information.
Upcoming Events at Cagles Mill Lake (Lieber SRA)
Cunot Ramp and Cataract Falls, Lieber SRA
8,075 acres - 1,400-acre lake
In 1952, Cagles Mill Lake was built as Indiana’s first flood control reservoir, protecting the Eel and White river watersheds. Mill Creek feeds the 1,400-acre lake and is home to beautiful Cataract Falls. These falls resulted from two pre-glacial bedrock ridges buried beneath ancient lake sediments of the Illinoisan glacial period.
In the 1800s, Lieber State Recreation Area was populated by the Miami, Shawnee and Potawatomi. In 1809, what was left of the great Miami Indian Confederacy sold the now southern one-third of Indiana to the U.S. government, when the 10 O’Clock Treaty Line, which passes through Lieber SRA, was laid out. To learn more about the history and legends of the area, stop at the Nature Center and speak with the Interpretive Naturalist staff.
The state of the art Aquatic Center is open during the Memorial Day to Labor Day recreation season. The Aquatic Center has a zero entrance pool, water bubblers and a tornado water slide. There are also shelters, a volleyball court and a playground. Other family fun opportunities include hiking trails, boat access to Cagles Mill Lake and a campground. The 115 Class A and 94 Class B campsites make this a lovely place to visit. Plan a picnic in the activities field, where you will find horseshoe pits, basketball courts, and plenty of play areas for the kids. For additional information and for Aquatic Center hours, please contact the property office at (765) 795-4576.
During the summer, pool hours may change because of weather and staffing. Please contact the property office for exact times before your visit.
- Nature Center
- Basketball Court
- Boating / 2 Launch Ramps
- Fishing Pier
- Hiking Trails
- Horseshoe Pits
- Interpretive Naturalist Services
- Picnicking / Shelterhouse
- Playground Equipment
- Rental - Fishing Boats, Pontoons
- Swimming / Pool / Waterslide (Policy) Check office for hours.
Camping - See campground maps under MAPS tab
- Electric / 120 sites - Poplar Grove
- Non-electric / 96 sites - Sunny Acres
- Dumping Station
DESCRIPTION OF HIKING TRAILS
Note: For trail locations, view the property map under the MAPS tab.
1. COVERED BRIDGE NATURE TRAIL (.75 mile) MODERATE—Starts and ends near the sports and activity field. Stoned trail with benches and covered bridge. Wheelchair Accessible.
PLEASE STAY ON MARKED TRAIL.