Lewis and Clark - The Indiana Connection
William Clark was living in a cabin overlooking the Falls of the Ohio in Clarksville, Indiana Territory with his older brother General George Rogers Clark, when he received a letter from Meriwether Lewis in the summer of 1803 asking him to be co-commander of and recruit men for the expedition. The men recruited from the immediate area of the Falls of the Ohio formed almost one-third of the Corps of Discovery's permanent members.
In fact, it was George Rogers Clark who Thomas Jefferson first asked to lead an expedition to the Pacific in 1783. Clark, the "Conqueror of the Northwest Territory" and founder of Clarksville, lived in the town from 1803 to 1809. The Clark cabin site is the only home that George Rogers Clark ever owned and was the remaining parcel from land granted to him for his service in the American Revolution when he secured the Northwest Territory for the United States. Today, a cabin of the early 19th century, similar to the original Clark cabin, stands on the site overlooking the Ohio River. East of the cabin is the park's interpretive center, a short one mile hike or two mile drive.
Meriwether Lewis arrived at the Falls of the Ohio on October 14, 1803, meeting William Clark to form one of the most famous partnerships in history. They spent almost two weeks at the Falls of the Ohio (Oct. 14-26,1803) in Clarksville and across the Ohio River in Louisville, Kentucky, recruiting and enlisting men in the army, gathering supplies, and preparing for the expedition before departing for the West from Clarksville on October 26, 1803.
The Falls of the Ohio State Park has been certified by the National Park Service as an official Lewis and Clark site associated with the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail. More on Local Members of the Corps of Discovery