Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Standouts in preserving cultural resources were presented with 2016 Indiana Historic Preservation Awards at Preserving Historic Places: Indiana’s Statewide Preservation Conference in Vincennes this past April.
The Indiana Historic Preservation Award for Outstanding HPF Grant Rehabilitation project was presented to the Lew Wallace Study Preservation Society for the rewiring and restoration of the original lighting in the Lew Wallace Study National Historic Landmark (Montgomery County).
The Indiana Historic Preservation Award for Outstanding Rehabilitation Investment Tax Credit project was presented to Housing Partnerships, Inc., Historic Greensburg Square LP, and Flaherty & Collins for their rehabilitation of Seitz House Hotel Apartments in Greensburg (Decatur County).
The Indiana Historic Preservation Award for Outstanding Residential Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credit project was presented to Jerry and JoEllen Nelson for their work on the Thomas J. Lewis House (Wabash County).
The Indiana Archaeology Award was present to Amy Favret as Principal Investigator for her excellent coordination and communication throughout the course of a complex, and unique, archaeological project, the IndyGo Downtown Transit Center, City of Indianapolis (Marion County).
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) helps strengthen Indiana’s historical and cultural heritage through annual federal grants it administers to local communities and not-for-profit groups that these organizations put toward preservation projects. This year, the DNR Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology has awarded ten federal grants for historic preservation and archaeology in Indiana communities (see list below). The grants, totaling $375,293, provide a match of $360,718 in local and private funds, for a total projected investment of $736,011.
The funds come from the National Park Service, a part of the U.S. Department of the Interior, which distributes federal funds to the states through the Historic Preservation Fund Program. Since 1974, the state has awarded more than $18 million to Indiana communities through this program.
Benton County: Ball State University’s Department of Anthropology received a $49,972 grant to conduct an archaeological survey in Benton County. The focus of this investigation will be 900 acres in the seven central and southern townships of Benton County (Parish Grove, Center, Pine, Hickory Grove, Grant, Oak Grove, and Bolivar).
Fort Wayne: The City of Fort Wayne received a $6,891 grant to prepare a National Register nomination for the Lakeside Historic District, and also to design and print of brochures for downtown historic properties in Fort Wayne. The Lakeside Historic District is a residential neighborhood located east of downtown Fort Wayne. It was platted in 1890 by the Fort Wayne Land and Improvement Company in a peninsula at the junction of the St. Joseph, Maumee, and St. Mary’s Rivers. There are approximately 460 contributing resources in the district that were built between 1890 and 1920 and represent styles including Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Craftsman, and American Foursquare. In addition, a brochure will be designed and printed to highlight the historic resources scattered through the central downtown area. It will contain a general history of Fort Wayne, offer a locator map, and highlight approximately 45 properties with histories and photos. The brochure will also function as a tour guide for the central downtown. The brochure is part of an ongoing series created by the City to promote historic areas and historic preservation.
Greencastle: The Heritage Preservation Society of Putnam County received a $50,000 grant to assist with the stabilization and restoration of the Putnam County Civil War Soldier’s Monument, which was dedicated in July 1870, just five years after the conclusion of the war. This 29-foot-tall monument is located in Forest Hill Cemetery and was designed and sculpted by Thomas Dow Jones. The monument consists of three vertical sections: the top is the statue of a seated soldier, the middle section is a cylindrical shaft or pedestal consisting of eight courses of sandstone blocks, and the bottom section is a decorative base. The five lower courses of the pedestal consist of 40 rusticated blocks that bear the names of the 321 soldiers from Putnam County who were killed in the war. Extensive spalling of the faces of the stone blocks has begun to render many of the carved names unreadable. Elements of the original statuary have also been lost including the rifle, primer box, and bayonet. These elements will be replicated and replaced. The shaft of the monument requires the most attention: at least 26 of the 40 rusticated blocks will need to be replaced and names on those sections will be re-engraved.
Greenwood: The City of Greenwood will receive a $4,750 grant to prepare a National Register nomination for the identified Greenwood Historic District. This district includes approximately 300 contributing resources, most of which are residential and date from the mid-19th to the mid-20th century. The district is included on the DHPA’s priority list within the Architectural & Historical priorities in order to encourage more National Register listings in counties that are otherwise under-represented within the National Register. The residential district nomination will complement the existing Greenwood Commercial Historic District. The City is currently investing in the revitalization of the downtown historic district. By listing the Greenwood Residential Historic District, Greenwood will have another tool to promote economic revitalization within the area and continue to strengthen historic preservation efforts city-wide.
Indianapolis: The Indiana Medical History Museum received a $47,400 grant to assist in the exterior rehabilitation of the Old Pathology Building at the Central State Hospital complex, which now houses the Indiana Medical History Museum. Built in 1896, it was a state of the art medical research and teaching facility, and was in use until 1968. It is owned by the City of Indianapolis, but the Indiana Medical History Museum occupies the building under a 99-year lease, and uses the building’s features, furnishings, and collections to interpret the history of medicine and medical research to many visitors, including doctors and medical students, each year. The scope of work for the grant proposes to stabilize the south and west elevations of the Old Pathology Building, repointing up to 50% of the masonry and replacing damaged bricks as needed. A great deal of water infiltration has caused significant damage to the interior structure and finishes.
Madison: Historic Madison, Inc. received a $50,000 grant to assist with restoration and rehabilitation of the iron fence and its stone base surrounding the Shrewsbury-Windle House in Madison. The property is a National Historic Landmark (NHL) that was designed by architect Francis Costigan and built by Charles Shrewsbury in 1849. The house is built on the northern quarter of a 129’ by 326’ lot and constructed with pink brick with stone and wrought iron balconies and elaborate cornice work. A significant exterior feature is the ornate iron fencing mounted on massive sandstone blocks believed to have been designed by Costigan, and likely the last remaining iron fence attributed to him.
Newton County: Ball State University’s Department of Anthropology received a $49,972 grant to conduct a Phase I pedestrian survey of approximately 450 acres in central Newton County, in the two central townships (Beaver and Jackson), and an additional 450 acres targeting under-represented ecological communities elsewhere in the County. Specifically the project is intended to add to the understanding of the various prehistoric cultural periods of the county and of the Euro-American presence and Native American interaction.
Peru: The Miami of Indiana received a $40,000 grant to replace the roof on two portions of the Miami of Indiana’s Tribal Complex. The campus consists of three buildings that were initially built as part of the City of Peru’s schools. The central grade school was built in 1922, the industrial arts building in 1926, and the high school in 1939. The high school building includes the Tig-Arena, an octagonal shaped gymnasium with a wooden basketball floor and stone bleacher seats. The arena is the building most used by the tribe. The roof over the arena and classrooms is deteriorating. Leaks are evident along the points where the roof and walls meet, and also on the main portions of the roof as well. Water is leaking into the gym and creating problems in the lower level where the tribe stores archival materials and information. The scope of work includes removing the current roofing, inspecting the decking and support system and making any needed repairs, and installing a rubber membrane roof over the classroom section and the gymnasium.
Tippecanoe County: The University of Southern Indiana received a $26,308 grant to conduct non-invasive geophysical archaeological survey (magnetometry and soil resistivity) and more precise mapping of the numerous Native American villages that once surrounded Fort Ouiatenon on the Wabash River in Tippecanoe County. The project will target six Native American village sites to the north and east of the fort location for resistivity survey, and is designed to provide baseline data regarding the location and presence/absence of intact subsurface remains. Although the life within the Fort has been extensively investigated, there has been little attention paid to the Wea, Kickapoo, and Mascouten residents in the area.
Vincennes: The City of Vincennes received a $50,000 grant assist with window and masonry rehabilitation of the Vincennes Police Department building. The department is housed in the former United States Post Office building, built in 1907 and expanded in 1936. It is an ornate neo-classical revival style building with an Indiana limestone façade. The City purchased the building in 2000 and the police department has occupied it since. The proposed scope of work includes rehabilitating the 15 large double-hung wood windows and 20 smaller windows. Although maintenance was done in 1983, it only included repainting and reglazing but no substantial wood work or other repairs.
Starting in late 2016 or early 2017, the Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology (DHPA) is making some key changes to its electronic survey program. At that point, all new surveys undertaken by the DHPA will only be documenting Outstanding and Notable rated properties in addition to every property in identified historic districts, all bridges, and all cemeteries. Contributing rated resources outside of those categories will not be surveyed.
After conducting electronic survey for almost eight years in rural, mid-size, and densely populated counties, the DHPA concluded that the current standard of surveying everything 40 years old or older that has reasonable integrity is not sustainable.
Based on the old survey approach and using previous survey statistics, the Marion County (Indianapolis) survey estimates are that DHPA would survey at least 79,972 sites and spend 3465.28 weeks (66.64 years) at a cost of $2,159,244 to survey all of the sites within the county. Therefore the new approach is being implemented at this time to allow for more precise planning in anticipation of an upcoming Marion County resurvey.
DHPA is federally mandated to update survey information based on the shifting 40-year cut-off. In order to continue Phase II of the comprehensive statewide survey program in a timely manner, this change in approach in necessary. The process will be streamlined and the program will reach counties faster than the previous 30-year cycle of Phase I. For questions or comments about the changes to the program, please contact Amy Borland at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317/ 232-1647.
From January, 2016, through April, 2016, Indiana added 6 listings to the National Register of Historic Places. These listings—houses, libraries, a Masonic lodge, and an archaeological site—have added approximately 6 historic resources to the National Register. Click here to see the complete list.
The annual Historic Preservation month photo contest was a great success. With over 75 entries, it was one of our largest year. The winners this year are:
Rachael Ackley—Most Artistic (St Mary’s in Huntington)
Melanie Campbell—Best Overall Resource (Barn in winter)
Norberto V. Nunes—Best Overall Photo (Brown County Observation Tower)
The DHPA has already begun to receive information about events which will be held during Indiana Archaeology Month, September 2016! If your organization is planning on hosting an event, please complete and submit the form so that your event information will be included in the official Calendar of Events.
Volume 11, Number 1 of the journal Indiana Archaeology has been completed and is available on the DHPA website. This volume contains interesting articles on a variety of archaeological topics:
Per state statute (Indiana Code 14-21-1-12), one of the duties of the DHPA is to develop a program of archaeological research and development, including the publication of information regarding archaeological resources in the state. This journal is one of the ways the DHPA continues to address that mandate.
Historic Preservation Fund (HPF) grant proposals in the Architectural & Historical (A&H) category that seek to prepare nominations for National Register Historic Districts may require pre-verification of eligibility. To learn more visit the National Register process.
In early August, the Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology will have Historic Preservation Fund (HPF) grant application packets available for FY2017 at the DHPA website: http://www.in.gov/dnr/historic/3671.htm#hpf.
There are three categories of projects: Architectural & Historical, Archaeological, and Acquisition & Development (rehabilitation). Please download the appropriate application packet and read all instructions carefully. The deadline for proposals is Friday, October 7, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. This is not a postmark deadline; all proposals must be received at the DHPA by the deadline.
If you have questions about the application packets or potential projects, please contact Steve Kennedy at email@example.com / 317-232-6981 or Malia Vanaman at firstname.lastname@example.org / 317-232-1648. Applicants are encouraged to contact the DHPA Grant Staff about their proposal.
If you plan to hand-deliver your proposal, please be advised that all visitors to the Indiana Government Center-South must enter via the Public Entrance at 302 West Washington Street and pass through a metal detector. In addition, security at the Department of Natural Resources now requires visitors to check in at the reception desk near the escalators and the 2nd floor DNR main office. The reception desk is staffed from 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Visitors may be asked to leave deliveries with the reception desk. Please plan accordingly and allow plenty of extra time to clear these security check points.
Genealogy and Local History Fair
The Indiana State Library offers a free Genealogy Fair every year. This year it will be at the Indiana State Library on Saturday, October 22, 2016 from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm. Admission is free and the fair is open to the general public. To learn more, http://www.in.gov/library/events.htm.
Preserving Historic Places, Indiana’s annual conference on saving and revitalizing vintage buildings and neighborhoods, comes to Wabash, April 26-28, 2017. The conference includes educational sessions, workshops, field sessions and tours in addition to lectures by state and national preservation leaders.
Grants from National Trust Preservation Funds (NTPF) are intended to encourage preservation at the local level by providing seed money for preservation projects. These grants help stimulate public discussion, enable local groups to gain the technical expertise needed for particular projects, introduce the public to preservation concepts and techniques, and encourage financial participation by the private sector.
Grants generally start at $2,500 and range up to $5,000. The selection process is very competitive. The review process is generally completed within eight weeks of the application deadline, and applicants are notified via email once the review process is complete. Application deadlines are February 1, June 1 and October 1. If the first of the month falls on a weekend, applications will be due on the following Monday. Learn more about grants from the NTPF.
The deadline for applications for spring internships with DHPA is October 15th. These unpaid positions are an excellent opportunity for the students to learn about real world history, archaeology, and preservation jobs, acquire news skills, and deliver important products for the office.
Staff from the DHPA offer free programs around the state on a variety of topics including archaeology, Underground Railroad, cemeteries, and preservation. If you would like to learn more about these topics, check out the Calendar of Events and find the talk closest to you. Or, if you organization is looking for a speaker; contact the DHPA (email@example.com) for potential speakers and topics.
Tell us what you think
We are always interested in your ideas. If there is a topic you would like to see in an upcoming issue of Eavesdropping, send us an e-mail at mailto:DHPAConnect@dnr.IN.gov
The Indiana Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology is now on Facebook. Please like our page and check back frequently for information on upcoming events, trivia, and helpful hints. If you have suggestions for topics or questions for future discussion let us know at DHPAConnect@dnr.IN.gov.