Forestry Certification and Audit Reports
Forest Stewardship Council® and Sustainable Forestry Initiative® certification ensures wood products from State Forests are grown in a sustainable and well-managed manner. The ability to offer “green-certified” wood products is becoming increasingly important, especially to overseas markets.
In renewing Indiana’s certification, the FSC® auditors noted that DNR Forestry “has demonstrated continued overall conformance to the applicable Forest Stewardship Council® standards” and cited other strengths:
- A “strong” best management practice monitoring program, with post-harvest reviews by DNR Forestry resource foresters and a comprehensive second-party process.
- Employment of a full-time wildlife biologist who focuses on special situations (e.g., the Habitat Conservation Plan to protect bat habitat) but provides support for regular work activities. The audit also notes, “The Indiana Division of Forestry has dedicated considerable resources to developing state-of-the-art bat conservation practices.”
- Employment of a full-time archeologist who has developed an “exceptional” program for identifying and managing culturally important sites.
- An “exceptional” program to retain stand-level wildlife habitat elements in accordance with scientific information.
- “Excellent” recreational opportunities for the public, including walking and horse trails, camping, and access to lakes and ponds.
- Annual State Forest open houses and a comprehensive web site that contribute to public involvement in public land management and planning.
- Significant improvements to haul roads for handling wet-weather traffic and larger logging trucks.
- Restoration and maintenance of State Forest offices, shops and recreational facilities, many that have historical significance.
Best Management Practice Audit Reports
- Comprehensive Indiana Forest Best Management Report 1996-2016
- 1996-2016 BMP Audit Report
- 1996-2015 BMP Audit Report
- 1996-2014 BMP Audit Report
- 1996-2013 BMP Audit Report
- 1996-2012 BMP Audit Report
- 1996-2011 BMP Audit Report
- 1996-2009 BMP Audit Report
- 1996-2008 BMP Audit Report
- BMP 2009 Third Party Report
- BMP 2007 Third Party Report
- BMP 2006 Third Party Report
Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®) Program Reports
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI®)
- SFI Commitment Letter
- SFI Certification Public Audit Report -- Indiana State Forests
- SFI 2016 Audit Report
- SFI 2015 Audit Report
- SFI 2014 Audit Report
- SFI 2013 Audit Report
- SFI 2012 Audit Report
- SFI 2011 Audit Report
- SFI 2010 Annual Report
- SFI 2009 Audit Report
- SFI 2008 Audit Report
- SFI 2007 Audit Report
Sustainable Forestry Initiative and SFI are registered trademarks owned by Sustainable Forestry Initiative Inc.