YHCC - Young Hoosiers Conservation Corps
Governor Mitch Daniels has announced the hugely successful Young Hoosiers Conservation Corps (YHCC) -- a program that has employed nearly 1,900 young adults to improve Indiana's parks, trails and natural habitats -- will be back in 2010.
Statewide, YHCC employees worked on 750 projects at more than 75 DNR properties. More than 30 miles of new trails were constructed and more than 500 miles of existing trails were upgraded or rehabilitated. YHCC constructed 15 new buildings and renovated or repaired 380 existing buildings. Program participants also rehabilitated or repaired 50 historic buildings, treated or removed 4,700 acres of invasive species, constructed 31 new parking areas and completed 320 other miscellaneous projects. The work was done state parks, reservoirs, recreation areas, state forests, nature preserves and state historic sites.
Stories from the Corps
Want to learn more about what the YHCC members are doing? Here are some examples:
- Brown County State Park: Clayton Hanson is on guard
- Spring Mill State Park: Beverly Clark keeps pioneer village garden growing
- Tippecanoe State Park: Sam Denno is working with his hands
- Knobstone Trail: Justin Williams helps keep the trail in shape
- Shakamak State Park: Workers keep the pit toilets clean
- Clifty Falls State Park: Daniel Todd and Seth Shields beautify the park
- McCormick's Creek State Park: Eddie Laing and Brittany Kent clean the park
- Versailles State Park: YHCC workers build new mountain bike trails
- Harmonie State Park: Leadership lessons at Harmonie
- Indiana Dunes State Park: YHCC workers fight to save the dunes
- Fairfax State Recreation Area: YHCC workers greet visitors with a smile
- Brookville Lake: YHCC is working the water at Brookville Lake
- Yellowwood State Forest: YHCC workers help manage a forest
- Goose Pond Fish and Wildlife Area: Austin Lucas is helps maintain Goose Pond
- Pokagon State Park: YHCC does some heavy lifting at Pokagon
- O'Bannon Woods State Park: YHCC helps make the outdoors accessible to handicapped individuals
See the list of properties and projected completed.