A joint meeting of the Policy and Priority Committee and the Monitoring and Assessment Committee was held from 10:00 am to 12:00 noon (EDT) in Conference Room 12 of the IGCS in Indianapolis. The following is a brief summary of committee updates, discussion/presentation items, and a brief overview of the upcoming May 18th joint committee meeting agenda:
- Carlton Curry; Chairman, Policy and Priority Committee
- Jim Butcher; Chairman, Monitoring and Assessment Committee
PowerPoint presentation of Drought Indicators and Triggers (33mb Powerpoint file)
[acrobat pdf version] by Dr. Dev Niyogi, State Climatologist.
- Recommendation by Dr. Niyogi that SPI be used to identify drought conditions in Indiana, along with the possible use of another applicable indicator (CMI, KBDI).
- Important that Water Shortage Task Force also be aware of other water shortage causes other than drought.
- Water supply has two components; raw water and treated water.
- Conservation ordinances will be reactive, but development of ordinance should be proactive.
- “Demand Management” should be addressed; wise use of water.
- Potential recommendation of demand management in new water supply contracts approved by IURC; however, many utilities not regulated.
Upcoming Committee Meeting
- Joint Committee Meeting scheduled in Conference Room C of IGCS from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm (EDT) on May 18, 2007.
- Presentation by Bill Mullican of the Texas Water Board regarding water shortage planning, etc.
- Army Corps of Engineers will provide overview of their water shortage efforts.
- Overview/Development of Conservation Ordinance for June Task Force Meeting.
- Review draft of “Glossary of Terms” for Water Shortage Plan.