Deductions work by reducing the amount of assessed value a taxpayer pays on a given parcel of property. Application for deductions must be completed and dated not later than December 31 annually. Taxpayers do not need to reapply for deductions annually. Reapplication should only occur if the property is sold, the title is changed or the home is refinanced (mortgage deduction only).
Deductions applied for prior to the annual deadlines will be applied to the next year’s tax bill. For example, a homeowner who completes and dates an application for a deduction by December 31, 2014 and files the application on or before January 5, 2015 will see the deduction applied to his 2014 pay 2015 tax bill.
To learn about the state’s most common deductions and the associated eligibility requirements of each, see the links below. The forms required for filing for the deductions also can be found below. Personal property deduction forms can be found by clicking HERE.
To learn more about property tax exemptions, click HERE.
County auditors are the best point of contact for questions regarding deductions and eligibility.
Homestead Credit & Homestead Standard/Supplemental Deductions
Over 65 Deduction and Over 65 Circuit Breaker Credit
- Mortgage Deduction Notice - October 1, 2014
- Legislative Changes Affecting Property Tax Deductions - May 19, 2014
- Various Property Tax Deduction Matters - July 9, 2013
- Veterans' Deductions - July 8, 2013
- Changes Affecting the 1% Tax Cap and Homestead Deduction Non-Reverting Fund - June 20, 2013
- HEA 1072 Homestead Deduction Proof - July 7, 2012
- Solar Power Device Deduction - April 4, 2012
- Homestead Standard Deduction from Assessed Valuation - Revised January 24, 2012
- Deduction for Residence in Inventory - June 2, 2011
- Homestead Standard Deduction, HEA 1004-2011 - May 11, 2011
- Deduction for Geothermal Energy Heating or Cooling Device - June 15, 2010
- Deduction for Solar Energy Heating or Cooling Device - June 15, 2010
- Mortgage Deduction, SEA 223-2010 - April 16, 2010
- Disabled Veterans Deductions - September 23, 2009
- Mortgage Deduction from Assessed Valuation - July 8, 2009
- Auditor's Conference - October 22 - 24, 2014
- Assessor's Conference - August 25 - 29, 2014
- Auditor’s Conference - May 14, 2014
- Auditor's Conference - October 22 - 25, 2013
- Spring 2013 Auditors' Conference Q&A - June 4, 2013
- October Auditor's Conference - October 24, 2012
- IDVA Annual Conference - June 5, 2012
- Indiana County Auditors' Association Conference - May 15-16, 2012
- Fall 2011 Auditors' Conference Q&A - December 8, 2011
- Spring 2011 Auditors' Conference Q&A - Revised October 31, 2012
- Homestead Standard Deduction and Other Deductions Frequently Asked Questions - Revised January 5, 2011
- Spring 2010 Auditors' Conference Q&A - July 15, 2010
- Spring & Fall 2009 Auditors' Conference Q&A - November 19, 2009
- Fall 2008 Auditor’s Conference Q&A
Slides, Fact Sheets & Other References