Amusement Ride Safety Fact Sheet
IDHS Amusement Ride Hotline: 1-888-203-5020
Amusement Ride Safety Information
- Don’t board a ride if you see broken parts, signs of improper maintenance, or an inattentive operator. Report your observations to the ride operator or call the IDHS amusement ride hotline at 1-888-203-5020.
- Every ride should have a prominently displayed, current permit issued by IDHS. If the ride has no such permit, call the amusement ride hotline at 1-888-203-5020.
- Read all posted rules and listen to instructions given by ride operators.
- Watch the ride with your child before boarding. Point out the operator and the entrance and exit locations prior to riding. Make sure children understand the instructions and warnings fully.
- Obey minimum height, age, and weight restrictions. Never sneak children onto rides if they are too small or too young. A smaller/younger child may not be physically or developmentally able to stay safely seated.
- If you can’t count on children to stay seated with hands and feet inside, don’t let them ride.
- Keep all body parts (hands, arms, legs, long hair, etc.) inside the ride at all times. If you have long hair, keep it pulled up with a hat or hair tie.
- Always use the safety equipment provided (seat belt, shoulder harness, lap bar, etc.).
- Remain in the ride until it comes to a complete stop at the unloading point. If a ride stops temporarily due to mechanical failure or other reasons, stay seated and wait for an operator to give you further instructions.
- Know your physical conditions and limitations. If you suspect that your health could be at risk for any reason, or that you could aggravate a pre-existing condition of any kind, do not ride.