You need a family disaster kit. This is a supply kit that will help you and your family survive until emergency personnel are able to reach you. Disaster kits are tailored to your family. They take into account the people living in your house.
The Indiana Department of Homeland Security wants you prepared for any disaster that might take place. Taking action now will help you and your family be more prepared for any emergency. It may take emergency personnel up to three days to reach you; therefore, the kits are designed for three days. Each kit will include basic items like water, food, flashlight, battery-powered radio, and a first-aid kit.
One gallon of water per person per day. This is both for drinking and sanitary purposes.
- For three days, one person needs at least three gallons of water.
- Store in clean plastic containers.
- The hotter the weather is, the more water you may need.
- Children, nursing mothers and people who are sick or injured may need more water.
Three day supply of non-perishable food. Make sure to store foods that require no preparation, no refrigeration, and very little water if any.
- Protein bars
- Canned meats
- Dry cereal
- Dry milk
- Peanut butter
- Baby Formula (if applicable)
- Crackers, etc...
First Aid Kit
- Latex gloves
- Petroleum jelly
- Sterile dressings
- Adhesive bandages
- Soap or hydrogen peroxide
- Antibiotic ointment
- Prescription medication and supplies
- Over-the-counter pain reliever
- Anti-diarrhea medication
Other Needed Items
- Wrench to Shut Off Gas and Water
- Can Opener (manual not powered)
- Eating Utensils
- Paper Cups, Plates, & Towels
- Flashlight and Extra Batteries (NO candles - open flames could cause an explosion if there is a gas leak.)
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA weather radio preferably)
- Local Maps
- Dust Mask
- Plastic Sheeting
- Duct Tape
- Garbage Bags
- Fire Extinguisher
- Matches in a Waterproof Case
- Important Documents in Waterproof Container (birth certificates, Social Security card, deed, bonds, etc..)
- Cash (keep small bills because no power = no ATM or credit cards)
- Clothes (Strong shoes, long-sleeve shirt, jeans, extra socks)
- Entertainment for Kids (If applicable)
- Extra Baby Supplies (If applicable)