Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
To the members of the Public Safety Community:
Under Indiana Code 10-14-2-5, family members of military or public safety officers who die in the line of duty may be presented with a state flag. Family members are defined as the surviving spouse, the surviving children
if there is no surviving spouse and the surviving parent or parents if there is no surviving spouse or there are no surviving children.
Eligible recipients are:
|1. a member of a fire department
(as defined in IC 36-8-1-8);
2. an emergency medical service provider
(as defined in IC 16-41-10-1);
3. a member of a police department
(as defined in IC 36-8-1-9);
4. a correctional officer
(as defined in 5-10-10-1.5
5. a state police officer;
6. a county police officer
7. a police reserve officer
8. a county sheriff;
9. a deputy sheriff;
10. an excise police officer;
11. a conservation enforcement officer;
|12. a town marshal; |
13. a deputy town marshal;
14. a university police officer appointed under
15. a probation officer;
16. a paramedic;
17. a volunteer firefighter
(as defined in IC 36-8-12-2)
18. an emergency medical technician or a paramedic
working in a volunteer capacity;
19. a member of the armed forces of the United States;
20. a member of the Indiana Air National Guard; or
21. a member of the Indiana Army National Guard.
If you know of anyone eligible for this honor, please contact us. Applications for a flag can be found here.