Amber Alert
previous image
next image

October Image Gallery

Begin the celebration of Indiana’s bicentennial by viewing photos with historical ties to this month.

Involvement with Aeronautics and Astronautics extends back to the Purdue Aero Club of 1910 and the first aeronautical courses offered in 1921. Pioneers like Macolm Ross in the Strato-Lab tested the space suit used by the Mercury astronauts and Iven Kincheloe, Jr. in the X-2 aircraft was the first to fly above 100,000 feet. Purdue's 22 astronauts, include Virgil "Gus" Grissom who was the second American in space, Neil Armstrong the first man to set foot on the Moon, and Jerry Ross who holds the record for the most space flights undertaken by any astronaut. (Purdue University)

Purdue Astronauts

Miller began to gain national recognition, both for his success in business with Cummins Engine Company, headquartered in Columbus, and for his courage and leadership at the National Council of Churches. In 1967, unbeknownst to Miller, Esquire declared that he had the best resume and was just the leader the United States needed to run for President in 1968. For more information about Miller and his accomplishments, read his obituary. (Indiana Historical Society)

J. Irwin Miller

FedEx, then known as Federal Express, opened its Indianapolis hub in October 1988. FedEx has expanded its operations three times since arrival, making Indianapolis the second largest FedEx hub in the country. On average, 400,000 packages are processed through the facility each day. (Indiana Historical Society, M1080)

FedEx planes

FedEx, then known as Federal Express, opened its Indianapolis hub in October 1988. FedEx has expanded its operations three times since arrival, making Indianapolis the second largest FedEx hub in the country. On average, 400,000 packages are processed through the facility each day. (Indiana Historical Society, M1080)

FedEx hub

Zaharako's was opened on Oct. 20, 1900 by a family of Greek immigrants. Located on Washington Street in Columbus, the ornate interior featured oak wall panels, glass candy cases, a 50-foot backbar of solid mahogany and a 40-foot Italian marble counter. Menu items included cheeseburgers and cinnamon Cokes. The store briefly closed following the death of the last family owner, but has since been re-opened. (Indiana Historical Society)

Zaharako's Confectionary Store

September Image Gallery

Gov. Mitch Daniels speaks at the Indianapolis Airport to commemorate the fifth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on 9/11/06. (Indiana Historical Society, M1080)

9/11 Remembrance Ceremony

Men with pitchforks stand on a wagon feeding hay onto a conveyor. Additional men stand on top of the towering wall of hay and arrange the bundles of hay as they arrive, in this photo taken on September 2, 1930.(Indiana Historical Society, Martin Collection)

Wall of Hay

Young women are completing forms as they prepare for school at St. Mary's of the Woods College, located near Terre Haute on September 18, 1946. (Indiana Historical Society, Martin Collection)

St. Mary's of the Woods registration

The precursor to the University of Evansville, Moores Hill College volunteers sit at a registration booth in Evansville. The college moved to Evansville and began classes in September 1919. (University of Evansville)

Moores Hill College registration

The Civil War monument built by E.M. Heltzer in 1917 is in the center of downtown Angola, seen here on Sept. 14, 1953. Four statues at the bottom represent the branches of the military and the peace loving Columbia atop the monument is holding a flag and facing east. (Indiana Historical Society)

Downtown Angola

The Ball Brothers Company displayed their latest products in the Manufacturer's Building during the 1934 State Fair, held in September. The Ball Brothers are the namesake for Ball State University, located in Muncie (Indiana Historical Society)Military.com (National Archives)

Ball Brothers State Fair exhibit

Classes began at the University of Evansville in September 1919. Shown here is a current photo of Olmsted Administration Hall. (University of Evansville)

University of Evansville

August Image Gallery

The 10th Pan American Games were held in Indianapolis from August 7-23 in 1987. Here, the airport welcomes athletes and visitors to the city. (Indiana Historical Society, M1080)

Pan American Games

Nighttime view of Wabash Avenue in Terre Haute in Aug. 1934. Globe streetlights and neon signs glow in the darkness. Railroad tracks run down the middle of the street. Cars are parked along the curbs and pedestrians are walking on the sidewalks.(Indiana Historical Society, Martin Collection)

Wabash Ave in Terre Haute

Chickens are standing on a wooden board that rests on sawhorses at the Vigo County Fair in August 1935. (Indiana Historical Society, Martin Collection)

Chickens at the Vigo Co. Fair

Though the war in Europe ended on May 7, 1945, the fighting continued in the Pacific until August 14, 1945. Here a crowd gathers outside an Indianapolis American Legion to celebrate the end of WWII. (Indiana Historical Society)

Crowd celebrates end of WWII

A young girl enjoys cotton candy at the 1933 State Fair. The 2014 State Fair runs from Aug. 1 through Aug. 17 (Indiana Historical Society)

Cotton Candy at the State Fair

Sammy Davis, Indiana's only Living Medal of honor Recipient, is shown here at Eagle Base in Bosnia-Herzegovina in Aug. 2004. At the ceremony, the headquarters of the base were named after Davis. In the photo, from left to right, are IN Army National Guard Maj. Gens. Gregory J. Vadnais and R. Martin Umbarger, Former First Lady Maggie Kernan, and USA Maj. Gen. Virgil L. Packett II, and Davis. For more information about Davis and his connection to Forrest Gump visit Military.com (National Archives)

Sammy Davis

Here an F-16C Fighting Falcon jet from the 122nd Fighter Wing Blacksnakes, based out of Fort Wayne, flies through the sky in Iraq on Aug. 16, 2004 as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom (National Archives)

Indiana Air National Guard F-16C

July Image Gallery

President Ronald Reagan visited Indianapolis 3 times during his presidency. Here he is boarding Air Force One after speaking at the National Convention of Counties on July 13, 1987. (Indiana Historical Society)

Pres. Reagan visits Indiana

The present Boone County Courthouse was dedicated on July 4, 1912. Constructed of Indiana limestone, the 8 columns weigh almost 30 tons each. At the time of construction they were said to be the largest one-piece limestone columns in the world. (Indiana Historical Society)

Boone County Courthouse

The cruiser U.S.S. Indianapolis delivered critical components of the atomic bomb to be dropped on Hiroshima to Tinian in the Marianas Islands. Three days after it left, on July 30, 1945, the ship was sunk by a Japanese submarine; of the 1,200 men aboard, only 316 lived to be rescued after five days in shark-infested waters. The memorial is shown in 2012 (Indiana Historical Society).

U.S.S. Indianapolis Memorial

In 1935 Amelia joined the faculty of Purdue University as a female career consultant. It was through Purdue that she purchased the Lockheed Electra airplane that she would use in her attempt to fly around the world. In June 1937 she embarked upon the first around-the-world flight at the equator. On 2 July, after completing nearly two-thirds of the flight, Amelia vanished along with her navigator, Frederick Noonan. Here she is shown next to a plane in an undated photo from 1928. (Indiana Historical Society)

Amelia Earhart

This image of the Madison Fire Department was taken on July 4, 1904. At the center is an Aherns Custom Built 450 GPM Steam Pump, one of the largest and most powerful of the time. It was used until December of 1916 when the first motorized pump was received. (Indiana Historical Society)

Washington Fire Company

Gus Grissom, the second American in space, was born in Mitchell and graduated from Purdue University in 1950. Here he is shown before the launch of the Liberty Bell 7 on July 21, 1961. Grissom flew for 15 minutes and 37 seconds. (NASA & Indiana HistoricalSociety)

Gus Grissom

June Image Gallery

The bridesmaids proceed to the altar in the garden from the Oldfields mansion during the Landon sisters double wedding in June 1920. The Oldfield mansion became the Lilly house and gardens and currently sits on the grounds of the Indianapolis Museum of Art. (The Bretzman Collection)

Bridesmaids

The town of Shoals, seen here on June 19, 1941, was settled in 1816 under the original name of Memphis. Legend says once the railroad came through they began to call it Shoals since it was near a shallow part of White River. The citizens became fond of this name and decided to keep it. (Indiana Historical Society)

Indiana Shoals

The Champion Poultry and Egg Judging team at the Purdue University 4-H Club Round-Up in 1952 was from Sheridan, Indiana, seen here on June 12. Left to right: William Hunt, high individual, John A. Hiatt, William Alexander, and Coach Ben Hobson. (Indiana Historical Society)

Champion Poultry and Egg Judging Team

Cole Porter, born June 9, 1891 in Peru, is shown in this portrait at age 4. Porter is world renown for his songs and musicals. (Indiana Historical Society)

Cole Porter

The Indiana Black Expo debuted on June 19, 1971 to celebrate African-American history and achievement. In the first year, 5,000 people attended the two day event. Today the Expo runs 10 days and draws upwards of 300,000 attendees. (Indianapolis Recorder Collection, Indiana Historical Society)

First Indiana Black Expo

Former Vice President Charles Warren Fairbanks died in June of 1918 and his funeral procession is seen here passing in front of the Indiana State House as citizens pay their respects. Fairbanks served as U.S. Senator from 1897-1905 and as Vice-President from 1905-1909. (W.H. Bass Photo Company Collection, ca. 1897-ca. 1970)

Fairbanks Funeral

The Kellar Mill was established in 1825 in Brewersville. Shown here is George Robinson, the last miller and descendant of the mill's founder, on June 9, 1925. (Indiana Historical Society)

George M. Robinson, Kellar Mill

Paul Terry (left) of Flanner House and Frank Sigafoos (right) former Indianapolis Indians outfielder open the Little League season on June 6, 1958. (Indianapolis Recorder Collection, Indiana Historical Society)

Opening of Little League

A shipment of Ford Motor Cars is delivered to an automobile dealer in Milan, June 2, 1915. (Indiana Historical Society)

Ford Cars delivered to dealership

May Image Gallery

On May 15, 1902, after nearly 14 years of construction, the Soldiers and Sailors Monument was officially dedicated. (Indiana Historical Society)

Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument Dedication

The band in a Welcome Home Parade after World War I on N. Meridian Street in Indianapolis, May 7, 1919. (Indiana Historical Society)

Band in Welcome Home Parade

The Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument, 88 years to the day from its dedication, after four years of exterior restoration, May 15, 1990. (Indiana Historical Society)

Monument Restoration Work

Citizens of Michigan City are gathered under the funeral arch for Pres. Lincoln on May 1, 1865. (Indiana Historical Society)

Funeral Arch for Pres. Lincoln

In May 1971, Henry Moore's 'Large Arch', over 20 feet tall and weighing 5 ½ tons, was placed in the plaza in front of the Cleo Rogers Public Library in Columbus(Indiana Historical Society)

Henry Moore's Arch

Vice President and Governor Thomas R. Marshall lived in this home, seen here on May 1, 1913, from 1877 until 1909. The home is now the Whitley County Historical Museum. (Indiana Historical Society)

Home of Thomas Marshall

The Crown Prince of China, Pu Lun visited Indiana in May 1904. Here he is seen having lunch at Laycock Company, a furniture specialist in Indianapolis. (Indiana Historical Society)

Laycock Company Luncheon

The 'flying start' of the 1981 race shows car number 3, driven by eventual winner Bobby Unser, leading the field into the first turn. (Indiana Historical Society)

May, 24 1981 Indianapolis 500

Pictured is Ray Harroun in his Marmon Wasp winning the first Indianapolis 500 on May 30, 1911. The car was named the Wasp because of its black and yellow color scheme.(Indiana Historical Society)

Ray Harroun

The roundhouse and turntable for the Pennsylvania and Erie Railroads was located on W. Washington Street in Indianapolis. Photo taken on May 27, 1930. (Indiana Historical Society)

Roundhouse Repair crew

The Wonderland Amusement Park opened on May 16, 1906 at E. Washington and Gray Streets in Indianapolis. The park's 24 buildings and amusements surrounded an artificial lake.(Indiana Historical Society)

Waterslide