- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

Bureau of Motor Vehicles

myBMV > Titles > Certificate of Authority Certificate of Authority

In accordance with Indiana Code §9-22-5, a person who owns a vehicle that has a title that is faulty, lost, or destroyed or the possessor of an abandoned vehicle may apply to the BMV for a Certificate of Authority to sell, give away, or dispose of the vehicle for scrap metal.  Requests to junk a vehicle are processed by the Central Office Title Processing Department.

An applicant must submit the following:

  • Application for Certificate of Authority – State Form 55018
  • Proof of ownership (i.e. current registration, insurance settlement); or
  • Abandoned Vehicles – must meet requirements as outlined in Indiana Code §9-22: Proof of delivery of certified letter to the vehicle owner and lienholder (if applicable), including a copy of the letter must be submitted with this application.
  • Proof of lien release, if applicable.
  • $4 application fee.  Payable by credit card (MasterCard or Visa), check, electronic check, or money order. 

If the BMV determines that sufficient credible evidence exists to substantiate the applicant’s claim of ownership, an approved Certificate of Authority – State Form 55018 will be mailed back to the customer to present to the automobile wrecker or scrap yard when disposing of the vehicle.  

Mail the completed packet to:
Central Office Title Processing
100 North Senate Avenue, Room N411
Indianapolis, IN 46204