- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Bureau of Motor Vehicles

myBMV > Plates and Registrations > Non-Miscalculation Related Excise Tax Refund Non-Miscalculation Related Excise Tax Refund

If you have moved from Indiana to another state or sold a vehicle, you may apply to receive a refund of any remaining Indiana vehicle excise tax. To receive the refund, you should mail or fax the following documents to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles:

  • Download, complete, and sign the Application for Vehicle Excise Tax and/or Surtax Refund
  • Proof that vehicle was:
    • Registered in another state: For previous Indiana residents who had the vehicle registered in Indiana but have now moved to another state and registered the vehicle in that state. Please provide the following:
      • A photocopy of your vehicle’s permanent registration from your new state. For any state that has information printed on both sides of the vehicle registration, a photocopy of both sides of that registration must be included. The following states also require a photocopy of the registration receipt: Georgia, Maryland, New Jersey, North Carolina, Utah, Vermont, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin
      • Photocopy of the Indiana vehicle registration (if available)
    • Sold: Proof of sale or trade-in and a copy of the vehicle registration (if available)
    • Destroyed – Replaced: A statement from insurance company that states the vehicle was a total loss. Statement must include the vehicle information
    • Destroyed – Not Replaced:

Mail the completed form and required documents to:

Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Central Office Title Processing
100 North Senate Avenue, Room N417
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Ineligible vehicles

Trucks that are 16,000 pounds or heavier, and trailers that are 5,000 pounds or heavier, are not eligible for a refund because these vehicles are charged a commercial vehicle excise tax, which is distributed to the Indiana Department of Revenue.

Still Have Questions? Contact The BMV