- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Bureau of Motor Vehicles

myBMV > Plates and Registrations Plates and Registrations

Renew your registrations online and/or order your plates and you will receive them in 14 days.

  • Renew your license plates online
    NOTE: If your renewal requires a special paper form, such as the examples below, you must renew by mail or at any license branch.
  • Low-digit special group authorization
  • Form 2290
  • Department of Revenue Fuel Tax Permit

Have you recently renewed a license plate? Track your renewed registration as it is processed and mailed to you.

If you have lost your registration, you can order and print a replacement registration online.

Individuals or companies involved in commercial interstate transportation, that meet certain criteria, may be eligible for the International Registration Plan (IRP). The IRP allows registered carriers to obtain one plate and registration cab card to travel in multiple states at specific weights.  The program is managed by the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR).

Register a New Vehicle

If you have purchased a vehicle within the last 60 days and the title application has been submitted to the BMV, you may register your new vehicle online. If your vehicle was purchased more than 60 days ago, you need to visit a license branch.

Indiana's License Plates

You may choose from a variety of license plate designs, including Indiana's standard and historic plates, plates supporting military personnel and their families, plates benefiting local schools or organizations, personalized plates, and plates for specific types of vehicles.

Vehicle Emissions Testing

Vehicles registered in Lake and Porter counties are required to undergo emissions tests and tampering inspections every two years from 1976 and newer passenger vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 9,000 pounds or less.

Excise Tax Refunds for Vehicles Sold/Destroyed or Registered in a Different State

If you have sold or destroyed (total loss) a vehicle or moved from Indiana to another state, you may apply to receive a refund of any remaining Indiana vehicle excise tax or surtax.

Only vehicle charged Motor Vehicle Excise Tax (MVET), Recreational Vehicle Excise Tax (RVET), and Trailer Excise Tax (TET) are eligible to receive a vehicle tax refund.

The Vehicle Excise Tax and/or Surtax Refund Application Packet provides a detailed list of the documents required to be submitted with the application for title. Prior to submitting each application, verify all required information is included.

Download the Vehicle Excise Tax and/or Surtax Refund Application Packet

Off-Road Vehicles

Department of Revenue Base Plate Registrations

Companies who have 25 or more vehicles that are charged Commercial Motor Vehicle Excise Tax (CVET) must register those vehicles with the Department of Revenue Motor Carrier Services (DOR-MCS).

The following vehicle types are charged CVET and must be registered with DOR-MCS if a company owns 25 or more of the qualifying vehicles:

Trucks with a declared gross weight that exceeds 11,000 pounds


Trailers with a declared gross weight that exceeds 3,000 pounds

Semi Tractors

Recovery Vehicles

The BMV company files are reviewed annually to identify new qualifying DOR Carrier companies. If your company becomes a new DOR Carrier, the registrations for all qualifying vehicles defined above must be renewed with DOR-MCS.

Once a company has been marked a DOR Carrier, they will remain in the DOR-MCS program even if they fall below the 25 qualifying vehicle registrations.