- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Bureau of Motor Vehicles

myBMV > Titles Titles

All of the following title situations are processed by the BMV Central Office. The available packets provide a detailed list of the documents required to be submitted with the application. Prior to submitting each application, verify all required information is included. Mail the completed application to the address specified in each packet.

Affidavit of Ownership

If you cannot obtain a certificate of title from the seller, and the vehicle is valued at $5,000 or less according to NADA clean retail value, you may apply for a certificate of title by completing an Affidavit of Ownership for a Vehicle – State Form 23037. Visit to confirm the clean retail value of your vehicle prior to applying.

Download the Affidavit of Ownership Vehicle Title Application Packet

Salvage Vehicles

A salvage title is required for motor vehicles manufactured within the last seven model years that have been wrecked or damaged. When requested, a salvage title may be issued for a vehicle over seven model years old.

Download the Salvage Motor Vehicle Title Application Packet

A person who owns a vehicle that has a certificate of title that is faulty, lost, or destroyed, or who is the possessor of an abandoned vehicle may apply to the BMV for authority to sell, give away, or dispose of the vehicle for scrap metal without applying for a certificate of title.

An approved Certificate of Authority – Disposal of a Motor Vehicle – State Form 55018 must be provided to the automotive salvage recycler, or other appropriate facility when disposing of the vehicle.

Download the Certificate of Authority Application Packet  

Salvage Motor Vehicle Restoration

To request a rebuilt title brand for a vehicle previously branded as salvage, you must apply for a salvage restoration title.

Download the Salvage Motor Vehicle Restoration Title Application Packet

Mechanic's Lien

A person that performs labor, furnishes materials or storage, or does repair work on a vehicle has a mechanic’s lien on the vehicle for the reasonable value of the charges for the labor, materials, storage, or repairs.

If the charges are not satisfied within 30 days after the vehicle comes in the person’s possession, the person who has the mechanic’s lien against the vehicle must advertise the vehicle for sale at public auction. The vehicle may not be sold until the later of 15 days after the date the vehicle is advertised for sale or 15 days after notice of the intent to sell has been sent to the owner.

Download the Mechanic’s Lien Title Application Packet

Abandoned Vehicles

  • Questions: Call the Customer Contact Center at 888-692-6841

Application for Special Identification Number (MVIN)

If your vehicle does not have a vehicle identification number (VIN), or if the VIN has been altered or defaced, you must apply for a special identification number (MVIN) before you can apply for a certificate of title or registration.

Download the Special Identification Number (MVIN) Vehicle Application Packet

Court Order Title Applications

If you are unable to establish ownership through any one of the available BMV title application processes, you must obtain a court order. Once you have received the court order, you may apply for a certificate of title through the BMV.

Download the Court Order Title Application Packet

School Bus and Special Purpose Bus Title Applications

All new title and registration applications for a school bus or special purpose bus must be processed by the BMV Central Office.

Download the School and Special Purpose Bus Title and Registration Application Packet

Municipal Administrative and Law Enforcement Title Applications

Title and registration applications for municipal corporations, including law enforcement, must be processed by the BMV Central Office.

Download the Municipal Corporation and Law Enforcement Vehicle Title and Registration Application Packet