Reporting Illegal Sharing/Selling

Drug diversion is the converting of legally produced controlled substances from a legitimate purpose to an illegitimate purpose. This is often referred to as “dealing." Prescription controlled substances diversion is often a driving force behind both drug addiction and the escalation of crime. In a recent report, the Centers for Disease Control declared prescription drug abuse to be a nationwide epidemic.

The Drug Enforcement Agency has also ranked Indiana a leading state in armed pharmacy robberies.

Efforts are being taken to help medical professionals identify individuals who are “doctor shopping” (seeing more than one physician to obtain controlled substances) to acquire drugs to abuse and/or sell. You can do your part by ensuring that you do not store unused medications where someone may gain access to “borrow a few pills.” This prevents these drugs from getting into the wrong hands. Learn more at our Medicine Disposal and Safe Storage page. Legally prescribed medication is not permitted to be shared or transferred to others. Because many of these drugs have harmful side effects and their use can lead to addiction, sharing is misuse. Misuse and abuse come with significant risks — including death.

Please help us fight this problem by reporting criminal activity. This will help minimize the risk factors that place Hoosier lives at stake each day.

How to report drug diversion in Indiana:

  • To report drug diversion call the Indiana State Police Drug Tip Line at 1-800-453-4756
  • To report drug diversion by Medicaid providers go to
  • To report drug diversion by Medicaid recipients  – call the toll-free Hotline at 1-800-403-0864 or send an email to:
  • Drug Diversion can also be reported to the Drug Enforcement Administration at (219) 681-7000 in northern Indiana and (317) 226-7977 in central and southern Indiana.