2009 State Competition and Winners
The 2009 Indiana Poetry Out Loud Competition took place on Saturday, February 28, 2009 at the Indianapolis Central Public Library.
The Indiana Arts Commission would like to thank all of the participants, teachers, parents and judges for making this year's Poetry Out Loud competition possible.
- Derek C. Kaellner of Broad Ripple High School in Indianapolis will represent Indiana in Washington D.C., competing in the National Finals competition on April 26-28, 2009. Derek received a $200 cash prize and a $500 stipend for his school for the purchase of poetry books.
- Keiana Whatley of Ben Davis High School in Indianapolis came in second place and received a $100 cash prize and a $200 stipend for her school library for the purchase of poetry books.
- Elise Lockwood of University High School of Indiana in Carmel came in third place.
- Leslie Ann Boyden, Clay High School, South Bend
- Courtney Fyan, Edgewood High School, Elletsville
- Angelina Jung, Plymouth High School, Plymouth
- Derek C. Kaellner, Broad Ripple High School, Indianapolis
- Elise Lockwood, University High School, Carmel
- Tom Miller, Trader’s Point Christian Academy, Whitestown
- Ryan Myers, Southport High School, Indianapolis
- Derek O’Brien, Morton Memorial High School, Knightstown
- Zack Rooker, Warsaw Community High School, Warsaw
- Shelby Tuck, Columbus Christian School, Columbus
- Keiana Whatley, Ben Davis High School, Indianapolis
- Kate Wickwire, Lawrence North High School, Indianapolis
- Lawren Mills, Policy Director for Human Services, Office of Governor Mitch Daniels
- Sarah Fronczek, Fine Arts Coordinator, Indiana Department of Education
- Norbert Krapf, Indiana Poet Laureate
- Emily Bobo, Assistant Professor of English, Ivy Tech Community College Bloomington