Skip to content

Indiana Department of Homeland Security

< Back | Agency Home | Submit Events >

Search events. View events.

Homeland Security, Indiana Department of

Submit Events

Welcome to the Calendar. Please use the Help button to the right for any assistance while using the Calendar.

Click for help in using calendar displays. Print the contents of the current screen.

Advanced Search

(New Search)




Entry Details
Notify me if this event changes.Add this event to my personal calendar.Email this entry to a friend.
Go Back
Start Date: 4/18/2012
End Date: 4/18/2012
Entry Description
INDIANAPOLIS – Friday, April 20, is the last day for local and state governments and eligible private non-profit organizations in five southern Indiana counties to submit Requests for Public Assistance to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

The five counties eligible for these projects are Clark, Jefferson, Ripley, Scott and Washington counties.

Submitting the requests is an essential step in the process of obtaining federal aid for emergency services, debris removal and repair of disaster-damaged infrastructure in connection with the severe storms, straight-line winds and tornadoes that ravaged southeastern Indiana from Feb. 29 through March 3. Each request contains such information as the name of the applicant, location of damaged property and a point of contact.

After FEMA receives a Request for Public Assistance, a kickoff meeting is scheduled that includes representatives from FEMA, the Indiana Department of Homeland Security and the applicant. Those present discuss in detail the work that was or will be performed. The focus is on the eligibility and documentation requirements that are most pertinent to the applicant.

The kickoff meeting is a milestone in the Public Assistance program. Not only does it start the process of assistance for an applicant, but it is also the marker for some key deadlines:

• Damaged facilities and emergency work must be identified and reported to FEMA within 60 days of the kickoff meeting.
• If the applicant prepares Project Worksheets for small projects, they are due within 60 days of the kickoff meeting, unless an earlier deadline is set by FEMA or the state.
• All requests for alternate projects must be made within 12 months of the kickoff meeting.

By April 17, Indiana applicants had submitted 37 Requests for Public Assistance and 34 kickoff meetings had been held. Public Assistance funds are provided on a cost-sharing basis with FEMA paying 75 percent of eligible costs and the applicant paying the remaining 25 percent.

For questions or to apply, contact:

Carmen L. Spencer
Public Assistance Program Director
Indiana Department of Homeland Security
Emergency Response & Recovery Division
Indiana Government Center South
302 W Washington St. Rm: E-321
Indianapolis, Ind. 46204

Phone: (317) 439-0631
Fax: (317) 234-7236
Entry Type:
Press Release
Entry Category:
  • Announcements
  • Category:
  • Residents
  • Agency Name
    Homeland Security, Indiana Department of

    Calendar Software powered by Active Calendar and Active Data Calendar   
    Select item(s) to Search

    Select item(s) to Search
    Select item(s) to Search

    Select item(s) to Search