Complete your understanding of the 21st Century Scholars Program with the detailed questions and answers below. Answers to more specific questions are always available by calling the Scholars Helpline at 1-888-528-4719 or by emailing

1. What if my household income changes between the time of enrollment and graduation?

Once enrolled, an increase in household income will not affect a student's eligibility to participate in the 21st Century Scholars Program. However, an increase in household income may alter the amount of the student’s 21st Century Scholarship award for students who enrolled in the Program after June 30, 2011.

2. I am enrolled in the 21st Century Scholars Program and will be repeating a grade or will be skipping a grade. Do I need to inform the Program of the change in my grade level?

Yes, changes in a student's grade level need to be reported to the 21st Century Scholars Program by the school guidance counselor or other approved school personnel from the school the student attends.

3. As a 21st Century Scholar, must I achieve a certain Grade Point Average (GPA) in high school?

21st Century Scholars must meet cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) requirements to receive the 21st Century Scholarship..

Beginning with  the graduating high school class of 2015, students must achieve a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale when they graduate in order to receive the Scholarship.

4. If I fail a course in high school, causing my GPA to fall below 2.5 for a semester, will I lose the Scholarship?

The GPA requirement depends only on your cumulative (overall) GPA when you graduate from high school. If your GPA falls below 2.5 for  one or more semesters, you may still qualify for the Scholarship if your cumulative GPA meets is at 2.5 or higher by the time you receive your high school diploma.

5. Can I use the Scholarship if I graduate high school early?

Yes. You must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and an Affirmation Form before the March deadline of your final year in high school in order to activate the award early. You should also inform the Scholars program of your plans by contacting the 21st Century Scholars office at 1-888-528-4719 or

6. Are there any requirements I must meet as a high school student to maintain my eligibility for the 21st Century Scholars Program?

Beginning with the class graduating class of 2017, students enrolled in the 21st Century Scholars Program  must participate in the Scholar Success Program (SSP)—which includes three activities each year of high school.  The first step toward completing the Scholar Success Program is to sign up for a ScholarTrack account, which students use to connect to SSP activities and report their completion to the state.

Additionally, high school seniors are required to complete an Affirmation Form and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 10 of their senior year of high school. For more information on the Affirmation and FAFSA and other senior requirements, click here.

Check the events calendar on the Scholars homepage for events in your community, and be sure to read your email and check for mail from the 21st Century Scholars Program.

7. I believe I may have broken the Scholar Pledge. Is it my responsibility to report this potential pledge violation to the program?

Yes. It is the responsibility of a Scholar student and/or the student’s parent to report potential pledge violations to the program as soon as they become aware of the violation.

Potential pledge violations should be reported to:

21st Century Scholars
402 West Washington Street, Room W462
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Reports should include the full name of the Scholar, a description of the violation and an original signature and contact information of the person making the report.

Back to Top